It may require more effort to get a mortgage when you are self-employed because you have to prove to the lenders that you are able to afford a mortgage. On top of having to provide all the essential documents, business owners, including sole traders, limited company owners, contractors and freelancers will need to provide extra information.

Sole traders are required to also provide a minimum of one year’s finalised accounts or an SA302 from HMRC that is dated less than 18 months old.
Contractors and freelancers working through a limited company will need to show their current contract, or alternatively personal tax returns or company accounts.
Limited company directors will have to provide their latest year’s company accounts or personal tax return as a minimum. Some lenders may ask for two or three years’ accounts.

Speak to our advisors to understand what your options are if you are looking to get a mortgage when self-employed.